The Barwon Institutional Healthcare Property Fund was launched in November 2016 and aims to provide institutional investors with a portfolio of equity investments in Australian healthcare properties.
The $750 million Fund (GAV) is targeting healthcare or healthcare related properties such as hospitals, private specialist facilities, day surgeries & medical centres and ancillary healthcare assets.
The Fund aims to provide investors with attractive income return, quarterly distributions, and potential for capital growth.
Key features of Barwon Institutional Healthcare Property Fund
Industry Demand Drivers
- Australia’s growing and aging population driving strong demand for healthcare services
- Advances in care procedures and technology driving demand for new and specialised care facilities
- Govt funding helps underwrite growth and tenant credit quality
- Properties typically offer long WALE with CPI+ reviews: inflation-hedged income streams
- Yields 5.0-6.0%, paid quarterly
Favourable Risk Profile
- WALEs typically 5+ years with fixed rental growth
- High credit quality of tenants
- Patients loyal to support facilities/personnel they know
- Low levels of speculative development in sector
- Healthcare property has delivered one of the best total returns of all property asset classes with relatively low volatility
- Low correlation with other property sectors
|Fund Type||Unlisted, unregistered, open-ended unit trust|
|Investors||Wholesale clients as defined under Section 761G of the Corporations Act|
|Minimum Investment||$20Million unless otherwise agreed|
|Investments||Equity investments in properties in the healthcare sector located in Australia|
|Borrowing||The Fund will borrow to fund acquisitions and capital expenditure to target Loan-to-value ratio (LVR) between 30-40%|
|Redemptions||Redemption window offered in December 2026.
Redemptions outside window at Manager’s discretion
|Distributions||Quarterly in respect of the March, June, September and December quarters|